Nashville History

Read my other blog - Nashville History

Friday, June 13, 2014

Ernest G. Oeser, III

 Several years ago I wrote this letter to my brother.  His health was not good and I wanted to say how much I loved him while he was around to know.  He called me the day he got my letter and told me he loved me and thanked me for sending the letter.  Last year, June 18, 2013, my brother died.  I slipped a copy of the letter inside his jacket, just over his heart, on the day that he was buried.  He was a good man, a good husband and a good father.  He often talked about his faith, his love for Jesus and his belief in prayer.  He married his wife Geneva in 1965 and took her sons, Steve and Paul, as his own.  In 1969 a third son, George, was born.  He loved his sons equally, he took them to church, and taught them about his Christian faith through words and action.  He was honest and hard working, faithful and kind.  I miss him very much.  He was one of the finest men I have known.

Dear Ernest

I appreciate that you always say “I love” when we part, whether in person or on the phone.  It reminds me to say it back and to say it to others.  You have always been supportive and ready to help me with any need.  It was always fun to hear stories of how you carried me around on your hip when I was a baby and the loving way you cared for me.  I have always been so proud of my handsome big brother.  The Christmas I was 13 you called and asked me to go shopping with you to help pick out gifts for Geneva.  I felt so grown up and was so happy to be asked.  You always make me feel special and loved.

I respect your knowledge, opinions and beliefs.  I have always cherished the way that you have loved your wife Geneva and your sons, Steve, Paul and George.  I am proud of the way you have lived your life, of your morals and of your Christian faith.  You and Geneva raised three sons.  Steve has been a hard worker and he learned that good work ethic from you.  Paul learned, from your witness of your love of God, to love Jesus, and to have faith that He would be with him through all things and that the Lord would never give him more than he could bear.  George has grown up to be a Christian man and a kind person with a good heart and compassion for all people, following your example.

Mama always said that you never gave her a moment’s trouble and I’m sure that is true.  She also often said that raising a boy was easier than raising girls.  I guess that means Ann and I caused her a few problems along the way.

You know I love you and I know you love me because you tell me so often.  I just felt the need to write it down and share some of my thoughts with you.

I love you.
Your baby sister, Debie

No comments:

Post a Comment