Nashville History

Read my other blog - Nashville History

Monday, June 4, 2018

They Have Served Their Time In Hell.




Awhile back I found a poem about soldiers in the 25th Division serving in Korea. It was in some papers that had belonged to my parents. I googled and found that it is one of many variations of a poem that dates back to at least WWI. The original title was Our Hitch in Hell. It was published in 1916, in a book titled American Soldier Ballads. There are men who fought in later wars who sincerely believe that they wrote the poem. The poem was revised many times and used from WWI to Vietnam and likely after. Sometimes it is about Marine's, sometimes all soldiers are included. Daddy had two brothers who served in Korea. Perhaps one of them sent it to him. Corky served in the 25th Division but I don't know about Peanut.

This is the version that I came across. It is quite different from the original but follows the theme.


The_Tennessean_Wed__Jun_18__1952_oeser brothers

Herbert D. "Corky" Oeser



John Paul "Peanut" Oeser

My uncle Corky Oeser is in the back center in uniform. This was 1950.
I believe Daddy and others were delivering Corky to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment