Nashville History

Read my other blog - Nashville History

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas to all my Steele cousins

Wishing a Merry Christmas to all my Steele cousins.  

Pawpaw Steele sitting at center.
When I was a child we had a Christmas dinner every year at our house with Mama's family.  Her dad and any siblings who were Nashville at the time, along with their families, would come together, usually on the Sunday after Christmas.  Mama was the best cook and we had so much good food to share.  Mama's family was scattered across the country and we didn't see all of them every year or even know some of them very well.  We knew that the ones who could not be present, were with us in spirit, and that Mama thought of and missed each one of them, especially at Christmas time.  We were fortunate to spend many Christmas seasons, with Mama's dad, Wilmoth Steele.  He was our Pawpaw. His sister's Neva and Ila, had Christmas with us also.  Pawpaw's wife Minnie, died before any of her grandchildren were born, but she was always in Mama's thoughts and we loved her through the stories Mama shared. This Christmas, as I take time to remember Christmas past, I think of the many family members who are no longer with us.  At  Christmas, I really miss my Mama and Daddy and my brother Ernest and my nephew Paul.  My uncles, Ed Steele and wife Elsie, Paul Steele and wife Elaine, Felix Steele, Bob Steele, Gerald Steele and wife Phoebe, Walter Steele, and Aunt Neva's husband, Wallace Hunley.  Also my aunt Lorena Steele Clingan and her husband George Marion Clingan.  This past year we lost our uncle Raymond Larry Steele and our aunt Mary Steele Gifford Cole just one week apart.  They are all in my thoughts.  At this time of year, I always remember Mama's baby sister Ila Ruth, who died when she 14 months old.  Mama was only seven at the time but she never let Ila Ruth be forgotten.  Only Neva is left now, out of twelve children.Thinking of Aunt Neva, all of my cousins and all of their families, near and far, those who are still with us, and those who have passed on.   

Steele family 1972

Click the link to read more about the Steele family -  One of Twelve 




No comments:

Post a Comment